Thursday, July 07, 2011

Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War


I extend a hearty thank-you to my history-major neice Susan for bringing this forthcoming Horwitz volume to my attention. First, let me say how gratified I am that there are still history majors, and that I am related to one of them. Second, let me say how excited I am that Horwitz took on the John Brown raid. Like many a Civil War buff, I enjoyed his Confederates in the Attic, and his talent as a writer and a journalist caused me to follow his efforts afterwardshis chronicling of Captain Cook's adventures (Blue Laditudes), and I did download, on the advice of the aforementioned Susan, his most recent book, A Voyage Long and Strange.

Not everyone cares for Horwitz's style, but I like it. I love the conflation of serious journalist, history enthusiast, and travel writer in his narrative voice. I don't even care if he turned to John Brown to capitalize on the sesquicetennial fervor (even if he's behind the date on the John Brown raid). I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, having never been disappointed thus far. It's also a perfect segue to my forthcoming blog post on John Brown's wife, Mary.

3 comments:

Tim Kent said...

I love to read Horwitz. I look forward to this book. Thanks for the post.

Chris Evans said...

Yes, I've collected Horwitz's books since 'Confederates in the Attic'. Having been numerous times to Shiloh I have read the Shiloh chapter over and over again. As well as the chapters on Shelby Foote and the legendary Civil Wargasm with Robert Lee Hodge.

I wonder what happened to the idea to make 'Confederates in the Attic' into a series on HBO? I really would like it to be somehow turned into a movie.

I wonder about the John Brown book. Is it going to be a straight history book or is he going to visit modern day sites related to John Brown and be similar to 'Confederates in the Attic'. All in all in looks interesting.

Chris

dw said...

Tim, and Kent,

There's a brief synopsis at the publisher's website and -- more interestingly -- a five-minute audio clip from Horwitz himself discussing the book (scroll down):

http://tinyurl.com/6b75s6a

-- Dave